Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How to Make a Class Silent

My class this year LOVES art.  Oh my, I have never experienced pure silence with a class of first graders!  The first time it happened with an art project inspired by the book Ish.  I thought to myself, "Huh, they really like this project."  Then, I introduced them to the surrealist artist, Joan Miro.  We discussed his life and looked at some works of art.  They were impressed by his use of lines and bold colors.  Then, we proceeded to make a rendition of his piece called "People and Dog in Sun."  Absolute silence as they worked.  WOW!  A-mazing!  Here is an example made by me and some student examples:
My example

Hard at work

Time for color!


As one student finished, he exclaimed, "Phew!  That was hard work!"  Then, he gave me a big, satisfied smile.  Made my day.  LOVE it!
Cheers,
Mrs. Sienknecht

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like they had a blast! Can't wait to see the finished products!!

    ReplyDelete